I’m super excited to announce that I’ve been nominated by The Stoke Fam, an amazing family blog for adventure, travel, and lifestyle posts, for the Sunshine Blogger award! Thank you so so much!! Honestly, just being nominated is such a huge honor.
The reality of being a blogger
When you’re a blogger, there’s a lot of work that goes into putting your content out there. When I say a lot of work, I mean A TON. I’m talking about 14+ hours a day in front of a computer. In fact, I HATE the term “blogger”, and I’ll tell you why. When I tell someone I have a blog, they instantly get this image in their head of a stay-at-home-mom knitting in their basement, who has this cute online journal. You literally have NO idea what kinda of work goes into having a blog. There’s no way of really knowing….unless you have one yourself.
Never-ending to-do list
As a blogger, we have to manage all of our social media pages. For me, that means: Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and LinkedIn. Each one of those social media platforms is a full-time job in itself. Then there’s creating content and email campaigns to go out every week (for me, that’s 2). There’s reaching out to companies and other people for collaborations. You’re literally doing everything you possibly can to get your blog and brand out there. Then there’s the actual blog. Writing posts, editing photographs, proof-reading a million times.
I’ve had many jobs in my life, but I will say – doing a blog is MORE than a full-time job. It’s also extremely overwhelming to be doing it all 100% on your own. You can ask my husband how many times I’ve had a complete mental and emotional breakdown over a site glitch or a photo not looking right. I’m telling you, the struggle is very real.
I’ve learned a lot
I had never built a website in my entire LIFE until I built my own. I had never done email campaigns, touched Lightroom or Photoshop, created Pinterest graphics, or cared about Instagram followers. I applaud every single person who is doing it that hasn’t given up yet. So, hey you, I’m here to tell you: YOUR WORK MATTERS. YOUR CONTENT MATTERS. And YOU ROCK. Giving up is easy. Keep going!!
As with any new business, there are a lot of ups and downs on this path. I’ve only been at this blogging thing for a few months, but I’ve already experienced lows (like site glitches that took me 15+ hours to try and figure out on my own ) and highs (hitting over 1k Instagram followers, and getting my first company collaboration!)
What is the Sunshine Blogger Award?
The Sunshine Blogger Award is given by blogging peers to bloggers who are bringing positivity and creative content to the blogging world. For me, simply being nominated tells me that I am on the right path!
Rules for the Sunshine Blogger Award:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you in your blog post and link back to his/her blog.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
- Nominate 11 new bloggers to receive the award and write them 11 questions.
- List these rules and display the sunshine blogger award logo in your post and on your blog.
So, without further ado, here are the questions The Stoke Fam had for me:
- What is your favorite outdoor activity?
My favorite outdoor activity is probably obvious, but…HIKING! I absolutely love being outside and seeing the beautiful scenery God created. I’m truly blessed to live in such an amazing place, with so many outdoor adventures in my own backyard. I love Southern Utah!!
- Do you have a favorite vacation spot? Why?
Oh man, this one is tough. I’ve done some amazing things and been some beautiful places. I’d have to say Bermuda for the breathtaking beaches and slow-going island life! I’ve never been somewhere where every single person you met said hi and made conversation. Everyone is so friendly! My mission to discover the world’s best beaches led me here, and I have to say – their beaches are going to be a really hard one to beat!
- If you could only eat one type of food for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
I’m just going to make this one easy and say carbs. I’m a Carbie Barbie. Most people are over here on this low-carb diet kick. Meanwhile, I’m the one eating all the bread at the table. I have no shame.
- How extensive is your planning (for travel, homeschool, etc.)? Do you plan in advance or wing it?
I’m definitely more of a wing-it girl. I try to do a vacation every 3 months or so, and I never plan in advance. My husband can tell you how annoying it is. “Want to go to Jamaica in 2 weeks?” That’s me. When someone asks me if I want to do a trip in a year…WHO PLANS THAT FAR IN ADVANCE?!
- What is your favorite way to unwind at the end of the day?
I guess I should try doing anything to unwind at this point. I’m not great at that. I’d say just laying in bed watching Netflix. Oh, and listening to true-crime podcasts. I know, I live life dangerously.
- What would your dream day look like? No work allowed!
Wouldn’t that be nice? I’d say going to the lake, phone off, surrounded by water! Laying in a hammock or floating in a tube. Make it an ocean, that’s even better.
- Who has had the most influence on you in your life?
Definitely my mom. She is the most unselfish person I have ever met in my life. She is always putting everyone’s needs before her own. She has the biggest heart of anyone I have ever met, and she has always been my biggest fan. She is truly my best friend and that person I tell everything to. She’s also a cancer survivor, so I never take for granted the fact that she’s in my life. I love you so much, mom!
- What’s your favorite indulgence?
Does shopping on Amazon count? I need a support group.
- Who has had the most significant impact on your blogging life (course, class, inspiration, etc.)?
I’ve had the pleasure of being a part of many blogging Facebook groups. I can’t even begin to tell you how much they have helped me. So, shoutout to all of you bloggers for helping me when I first got started! I was a lost puppy! Aaaand…I kind of still am.
- What does your closet look like? Is it remotely close to your dream closet?
Oh man. Well…I do have a walk-in closet. But, it’s not nearly big enough for all of my stuff. In my next home, I will have a walk-in closet all to myself! With lots of red-bottom shoes, please.
- What is your biggest barrier to traveling?
I guess money is always one. Lately, it’s been trying to find the time, since my husband and I both have start-up companies!
Again, thanks so much to The Stoke Fam for nominating me! I am truly honored and hope my nominees feel the same! I’ve nominated:
- A Point of Light
- Smart Girly Mindset
- Much Love, Jaclyn
- Free & Addicted
- Postcards from V
- Mind the Travel
- UK Everyday
- Travel Talk Cafe
- The Yogans
- Selfies and OOTDs
Questions for My Nominees
- Where did you go on your first trip out of the country?
- What inspired you to start blogging?
- What has been your biggest struggles when it comes to blogging?
- Where are you located? (home-base)
- If you could go anywhere in the world to visit, where would you go?
- How did you come up with your blog name?
- What’s your favorite thing to do in your spare time?
- How do you unwind and de-stress?
- What’s the best advice you can give to someone who just started a blog?
- When did you start blogging?
- When is the last time you took a day away from work and your blog? What did you do?
Special thanks again The Stoke Fam for nominating me! It’s such a huge honor to be considered! I love my blogging family!